Friday, May 4, 2007

A friendly Q&A gone awry

Well, it's the end of the semester, and that means final presentations in my classes. After each student's presentation, we have a Q&A session. This week I had a student speak about his position on abortion. He is staunchly pro-choice. During his speech he said that sometimes couples realize it's not the right time in their lives to have a child and that they should have the opportunity to abort. In the Q&A a young lady asked him a question that began a heated brouhaha that I had to quickly dissolve. You'll see why below:

Girl: Do you not think that irresponsible couples should have to pay the consequences for their actions?

Guy: Sure, they pay. It's about $300.

As you can imagine, the entire classroom erupted. Whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, I think we can all agree that his comment was immature and inappropriate. So where is the part of this student's brain that is called "tact"????? I just don't get it. As an old, grandmotherly, Southern lady might ask, "Were you raised in a barn?!"

3 comments:

Lady B said...

Don't you love when those question and answer sessions go awry? I had a student tell someone that alcoholism wasn't a valid addiction last semester.

Meredith said...

Oh my gosh!

Rainy Kate said...

That is hilarious. Totally inappropriate for the classroom, but totally fucking hilarious. I would have loved to have seen the resulting melee.