So, I have this student, She Who Never Comes To Class, who is currently about a week and a half late turning in the first draft of her essay, the second draft of which is due Tuesday. SWNCTC emailed me Wednesday afternoon to tell me she was struggling with the paper (she had not been to class on Tuesday) and ask if she could come talk to me. I informed her when I would be in my office, as well as what my office number was. I didn't hear back from her until after class on Thursday (she didn't come to that class either), and she asked if she could see me on Monday. Well, I'm only on that particular campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays, since I'm an adjunct and must run all over town to make a living. I remind her of my office hours (which are listed on the syllabus she is systematically ignoring) and get this in response:
I get out of class at 8:45 so I can come talk to you for 15 minutes if you tell me where your office is.
Setting aside for a minute the fact that she's ignoring the laws of physics in addition to the syllabus (there's no way she can make it to my office at 8:45 if that's when she gets out of class, and if I teach at 9, then I have to leave to get to class about 5 minutes before then), let's focus on the nature of this email: demanding, disrespectful and just plain dumb. All of the emails we've exchanged are floating at the bottom of this new one. My office number is approximately 5 inches below where she asks me for it.
I'm debating telling her that when I respond.
Saturday, February 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Send her an email with your office number copied and pasted 500 times between sad emoticons like :( :[ :{ and if possible insert streams of blood in the margins (if you can figure out the formating for said streams of blood, let me know).
Post a Comment